Monday, 4 February 2008

Brighton part B, Jan review, DTD....

Last time i posted i probably sounded a bit down. I feel much more upbeat now. Ill quickly conclude my brighton report before moving on to other things such as how january went overall, and how my first visit to dusk till dawn went.

After my departure from the Brighton gukpt main event i went out for a few beers with some good friends and soon felt better about my exit. The hangover wasn't too nice the next day however. I spent the next couple of days railing alex and mike, both of whom i had shares in. While alex ended up card dead and exited reasonably early, mike made it into day 2. Unfortunately the poker gods decided to lay a real bad beat on the guy with his pocket tens getting cracked by 10 9 off allin pre. The poor bloke was so cut up he left a couple of days early. I cracked on with the poker on the saturday in a 100 rebuy getting a beat of my own. Feeling quite good in the freezeout stage with all my chips in the middle with ak v aq on a k rag rag board i was soon at the bar. Two running ladies meant i certainly needed the beer bought for me by a buddy. Paul actually final tabled that event finishing 9th so well done to him. Finally the sunday 150 freezeout was a bit of an anti climax as i went from a huge stack to a bowl of rice in a matter of minutes eventually losing a race. By monday morning i was glad to go home. Next gukpt stop.....walsall.

January has been a real up and down month especially online. I have had a few 4 figure multi wins but nothing major. The sit and go's haven't been as prolific as usual and the less said about my foray's into cash the better. As mentioned in my previous post, i am retiring from cash until i learn not to bluff so much in them.
Overall the month has not been profitable financially yet in other ways i have learnt a great deal. My poker game is becoming tighter and less reckless. I feel i need to force myself into playing ABC for a while just to build up the bankroll and gain valuable experience in specific situations. It all sounds a little vague but i am currently working on particular facets within my play that i feel can turn me from a 'good winning player', to a 'very good big winning player'.

I returned back from nottingham this morning at around 7am. I had traveled up from london with Terry on saturday night. Arriving an hour late i was shocked when i arrived. The place as expected was huge and i was very impressed. However, as i had previously registered online i expected to see my name on the registration screen. Unlike Terry who raced off to his table, I found my name nowhere to be seen. I was quickly informed that-'According to the computer you were eliminated ten minutes into the tournament Mr Kay. In fairness the staff were brilliant and instantly calmed me down telling me it wasn't unusual for the computer to say this, and i was seated within a minute-i had only lost 275 chips from my 10k stack. Yet within half an hour i had lost a further 7k. My attempt to rock up more in my game soon fell by the wayside when i ran ak into quad tens. I also tried to bluff the same guy on a very low board when he held trips. The quad hand was all of my own fault though as i bet the river on a A,10,10,4,Q board having checked out of position on the flop and turn 3 handed. Despite my big hand, body language displayed by another player and his actions of checking both turn and river made me smell a rat. I felt uncomfortable with the texture of the flop especially out of position. But instead of check calling a value bet on the river i made the pot larger than needed by bet calling the river. This is an example of when i need to go with my gut instinct no matter what. Yet i battled back from these mishaps and was only eliminated at 3am after getting short stacked and running into kings. Overall my play was okay but something was certainly missing. That little something that sets aside very good players from your average joe smo was missing. I think i may have let a bit of fear creep into my game. My edge has always been my aggression preflop and playing position against weaker players. Yet in this tournament i felt i was the weaker player in a few situations. I have little doubt that this is a temporary blip however and will be rectifying this immediately. Yes im that confident.
As for Terry he had departed early when his aces were cracked by a strange play in the blinds with jack 7 off. He won his entry back in the cash games, which he felt were relatively soft. The next day i played the 100 pound freezeout and despite losing half my stack early on i made the final table with a more than healthy chip stack. Terry was card dead all evening and did well to make the final two tables before losing a race. I had played well all evening and can honestly say i felt the old confidence being restored as i won pots with well timed bluffs and maximised premium hands. Unfortunately on this occasion it was my aces that got cracked by pocket 5s and although that didn't eliminate me it left me short stacked and i was eliminated in 4th for £520. Leaving Nottingham at 4am i felt certain i'd be going back to this great venue.

This week will be spent grinding it out online, trying to qualify for the Walsall gukpt and arranging my plans for febuary. I may even have a non poker related holiday with my girlfriend this month. Wonders will never cease!

2 comments:

AlexB said...

Glad to hear DTD was impressive and WD on making a FT m8. GL with Walsall too - I'll keep an eye out for you!

dalzini said...

Just spotted you have taken your blog onto blogger, much easier to read.

Liking it mate, I love how you cleverly disguise your bad beat stories :)

My blog is a bit stale at the moment, aint played any live poker and only dabbled a tiny bit online as its hectic at home painting Azalea's room and such.

Saturday week I am hoping to sneak in a game, maybe at gutty as Tara and Azalea are going up to her brothers, will keep you posted (Saturday 16th that is)

Be lucky

Dalzini